Monday, September 3, 2012

Dining at the 10 oldest restaurant in Metro Manila (Part 2) – Conclusion


         From my previous post, I wrote about my   visits in  nine out of the ten oldest restaurants in Metro Manila from January  to  March.  Since that was five months ago, instead of updating  my previous  post, I just thought  of writing  a new one about  Aristocrat Restaurant , the last  among the  ten oldest restaurants  in Metro Manila that I have been  to.
 

August 31, 2012 - Aristocrat Restaurant, San Andres  St. corner  Roxas  Blvd., Malate ,Manila




          Established in 1936 by Dona Engracia Cruz Reyes,  it is perhaps a  common knowledge that Aristocrat Restaurant is an  institution in the  country. It claims to be the most popular restaurant in the Philippines, maybe rightfully so. A detailed history can be read in their website. Although a very popular restaurant, unlike its contemporary Max's Restaurant which have sprouted all-over the country, I read it has only four branches in Manila, one in Makati, one in Quezon City as well as three branches in Northern Luzon.

            It used to have old branches in Cubao  and in Greenhills, San Juan which I have been to several times. My favorites are the usuals:   chicken barbecue (of course! ), pork barbecue and pancit canton.  Few years back, it made a comeback in Cubao by opening a small branch in Shopwise Arcade, Araneta Center. I remember  a time when we took our kids to avail of  Shopwise’s   free  gift certificates. Each certificate is good for  a single  Aristocrat pork barbecue with java rice. Well, instead of eating for free, we ended up ordering for more. Sadly, this branch folded-up as well.

             This is only my second time in this original branch located in Roxas Boulevard. My first time was way back when I was a kid,  so my recollection is spotty.  We got there at a little over 11 a.m.  Located just beside  Malate Church and a stone's throw away from Manila Bay, this spacious restaurant’s atmosphere is very enticing. There weren’t  that many people dining at that time but slowly customers were trickling in. We ordered pork barbecue, half of its highly recommended Chicken Honey and had Halo-halo for desert. What can I say? Everything was great. The fried chicken's glistening skin was perfectly crisp and delicious. The savory meat  was tender and moist.  I enjoyed the  halo-halo here more than those I’ve tried in their defunct  Cubao  branch. By the time we got out, close to 12 noon, there were already many people dining and coming in. The weather was fine. We walked towards Roxas Boulevard to view the serene-looking Manila Bay.  Afterwards I took photos of the Malate Church... I promised my kids that a one day I’ll bring them here for dinner after watching  Manila Bay's famous sunset.
Top 10 Aristocrat favorites
 
Chicken Honey- surely one of the best fried chicken in its class
 
Pork Barbecue -Excellent 
Halo-halo
Malate Church
 
 
          
Conclusion:

               Overall, completing my “mission” to dine at Metro Manila’s ten oldest restaurants was an exhilarating experienced for me.  Of  the ten, I was only familiar with four ( Max’s, Aristocrat, Savory and Ma Mon Luk ) and heard the other six  only for the first time. Most of the time, the  exciting part for me is  not the  dining per se but  in the planning which involves studying maps for directions and reading  pioneering blogs for more information,  the actual travel (the walks), and in retrospect, the anxieties when you are lost along the way.  Many of these  old restaurants in Manila are intertwined with history, historical anecdotes, and historical places. The past eight months I have been to  Intramuros  twice and toured the historic spots such as,  Calle Muralla, Manila Cathedral , San Agustin Church, and  Fort Santiago among others.    I have also been to Binondo Church,  Sta. Cruz Church, and Quiapo  Church and come to appreciate more the significance of these in our history and culture. I had my own Binondo food experience and had actually walk from Recto, Avenida to Tutuban and back. This adventure  as it turned out not only satisfied  my gastronomic  curiosity but it was  also a   highly enjoyable  and educational lesson  in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment