Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dining at the 10 oldest restaurants in Metro Manila



              It was sometime in the fourth week of January 2012 , I had something to attend to in Quiricada St., Sta. Cruz , Manila. While googling Sta. Cruz district for directions, I came across an article about Ramon Lee's restaurant located in  Ronquillo St., Sta. Cruz , Manila. It was established in 1929 and is one of the oldest  existing restaurants in Manila. Naturally I searched about Manila's oldest existing restaurants and found out that there were already many articles, features and blogs written about them. Reading those blogs really  whetted my appetite. The thought of completing a 'mission', that is, to visit the top 10 oldest restaurants in Metro Manila (according to Spot.ph) really appealed to me. But why would a  health-conscious middle-aged man, with issues on cholesterol, triglycerides, uric acid etc. would  even consider going out of  his way and plunging into these gastronomic temptations consisting mostly of Chinese cuisines that are rich  in  fats and oils , I asked myself. My answer to my question was another question, Why not? Just the thought of it really was  'excitingly' and 'sinfully'  delicious. Anyway, I did spaced my visits.
            
               It's not my purpose to review the foods or the restaurants I  have visited  but I will be describing  how I find  them, in the simplest terms. Food taste is  a subjective experience. What is great tasting for me may be just ordinary to others or vice versa. Together with my willing partner, my wife, we set-off  and  conquered  Manila's 10 oldest restaurants....  

1. January 28,2012 - Ma Mon Luk Restaurant in Quezon Avenue

                  Established in 1920 and named after its founder Ma Mon Luk. Famous for its steamed pork dumpling or siopao and noodle soup or mami. Just the mention of Ma Mon Luk evokes nostalgia in me as growing up in Cubao, near the Araneta Center,  I've visited their defunct branch in Cubao so many times, well not really to eat but (  those familiar with the area back then ) to pass-by or to take a short-cut from Aurora Blvd going to Queens Super Market.  
Special Siopao and Beef Mami

Beef  Mami
                  I've been visiting Ma Mom Luk's branch in Quezon Avenue and its so-called sibling,  Masuki in Greenhills at least twice a year since 2008. I've read many blogs about Ma Mon Luk and I hope to  add my own nostalgic affection with this restaurant one day. For me, Ma Mon Luk's and Masuki's  are the best  tasting siopao I've tried. At least for now,  as I plan to someday visit the restaurants serving those  top siopaos I've read such as Gloria Maris and  Emerald Garden amongst others.
                We ordered the usual: 2 special siopaos ( P60 each); large chicken mami (105)and beef mami (115). All I can say is, "it's sulit" or "you get more for what you pay for", as what Kris Aquino says in one of her commercials. 



2. January 31, 2012 - Ramon Lee's Panciteria , Ronquillo St., Sta. Cruz , Manila




                  Established in 1929, the place can be compared to a '50s Chinese restaurants like Ma Mon Luk , with no air conditioning,  laminated menu  and with newspaper  clippings fastened  to the wall amongst others. The  diner-type seat's upholstery is noticeably color pink which is  relaxing to the eye. As we prepare to order, I saw someone who looks like the owner or the manager personally attending to the orders. That was good... We ordered  what I've read as their best sellers or specialties which are the fried chicken (P330) and Pancit Canton (P180). We had the chicken cut into two halves, the other half  we had it wrapped for 'pasalubong'to our kids. From the plastic bag where the other half of the chicken was placed, I read," tender, juicy and tasty." The chicken was served hot. It sure was tender and juicy but I found the taste just fine and somewhat  bland. The Pancit Canton (good for 4-5 persons) was also served hot. It tasted just ok...  I've read many good reviews regarding Ramon Lee's fried chicken. It is always included in the top ten best fried chicken in Metro Manila list of many bloggers. I plan to visit it again in the future. By the way, Ramon Lee's Panciteria  is near Sta. Cruz Church.  


                 
Sta. Cruz Church



         

3. February 1, 2012 – Ambos Mundos, Floretino Torres St.,  Sta. Cruz , Manila.

              Established in 1888, together with the New Toho Food Center,  are the oldest existing restaurants in Manila. Getting there from Cubao was easy. We took the LRT and alighted at the Recto Station. From there we walked towards and crossed  Avenida Rizal. The first street after crossing Avenida Rizal would be Florentino St. Ambos Mundos is near the corner of Florentino St.and Recto Ave., at the left side. The restaurant’s varied menu offers both Filipino and Spanish dishes some of which I’ve read go back as far as 1888. We ordered their specialty, the Ambos Paella and had Leche Flan for desert . The Ambos Paella was laden with seafoods such as shrimps, clams, mussels and a large crab on top. My wife loved it! Well, I’m allergic to seafoods so I settled for the eggs, the pork and chicken  embedded inside. It was like eating Pork Menudo and Chicken  Afritada.  The Leche Flan was delicious. We brought the leftover paella home for the kids and they liked it! We promised the kids that we'll take them to Ambos Mundos in the future.


Furnitures are wooden  chairs and tables with glass top. The traditional menu written on a blackboard can be seen. Also,displayed is a poster of Spanish bull-fighting.



As you can see,the entrance is wide open without any hindrance.No doors or screen doors. So don't be surprise if you see stray cats going in and out.  
Ambos Paella


Seen at the  lower right corner is one of the two pigs "guarding" the entrance.



4. February 7, 2012 -  Manosa Noodles Seafood Chops, Banawe St.,Quezon City 

                  This is a branch of the original Ongpin Manosa established in 1940 and located in Binondo, Manila. I read there is also a branch in Makati. We ordered the foods that are popular among the   blogs I've read such as Chami or pancit guisado, large pork siomai, the thick and gelatinous soup called Maki and fresh lumpia. It was our first time to eat  Chami.  Everything was delicious but nothing really extra- special and a bit on the salty side. The ambience in this Banawe branch is nice, stylish  and comfortable. Well, there are a lot of gastronomic delights  in their menu that  are worth trying. I'm thinking of going back there when I happen to pass by the  Banawe area. Also, the original Ongpin Manosa in Chinatown is definitely on my list.



Entance

Nice and clean ambience
Buffet

Chami, siomai, fresh lumpia and Maki

Maki - an interesting soup with its thick and gelatinous consistency. 

5. February 8, 2012 – New Toho Food Center, Tomas  Pinpin St,. Binondo,Manila

              Established in 1888. Holds the distinction together with Ambos Mundos as the oldest existing restaurant in Manila. The 'New' in the restaurant’s name was added after the previous branch was burned down sometime in the eighties, I've read. As I have said, it’s not my purpose to review or pass judgement  on the food or the restaurants we've visited. I’m here for the experience but I must say our trip here was a very disappointing one. We got to the place at around two in the afternoon. Nobody other than us were eating. I don’t mind the place looking like it’s not being maintained or it’s (over)ripe for renovation as long as the food is good. We ordered their popular Toho Chicken, Pancit Canton and fried rice. Everything went wrong. The chicken tasted like  undercooked, the pancit seemed near spoilage and the fried rice was cold.
              I’ve read many positive remarks regarding this restaurant especially among old-timers. We might  have just  caught it on a bad day , an isolated case perhaps, although this is of course not a valid excuse. Consistency is the name of the game in  food business. But the fact that it has existed for many decades makes me want to give it the benefit of the doubt. I’ve also read many nice reviews about its  more modern branch in Paranaque known as Toho Antiqua. I definitely want to give it a try.     

Toho Chicken and Fried Rice

Pancit Canton


Facade


6. February 15, 2012 - Savory  Restaurant, Escolta St., Santa Cruz , Manila


                Established in 1950. Although  popular  for their fried chicken,  it  also offers a wide array of Chinese cuisines. Since it opened its doors for franchising about a  decade ago, it has now many branches along the metropolis and in various provinces of the country.
                I have been several times at some of their   branches already but for this 'mission',  we went to the still existing  original Savory Restaurant in Escolta St. near the foot of the Jones  bridge. I’ve read some blogs  professing  that the fried chicken here is tastier as compared to its franchises. 
                We got there at around  1pm.   From the outside, the building looks in need of some painting works.  Inside, it seems nothing has really changed here for the past  60 years. There were many customers   eating.  I wonder why  some old Chinese restaurants, despite being patronize  by many customers, don’t make the necessary maintenance.  Is it due to a  superstitious belief or perhaps they simply subscribe to the old adage, “if it ain't broke(the steady stream of customers), don’t fix it”.
                We ordered fried chicken and Pancit Canton. Both were served hot. The pancit is saucy and delicious. The chicken  tasted just  like those I’ve eaten in their other branches, great tasting  but not really that amazing.  The gravy is good , a bit on the extra- salty side for my taste.
                All in all I enjoyed our trip here and definitely I’ll be back here when the  opportunity presents. Just like in Ma Mon Luk, I really like the joyous feeling when you’re  dining in an old establishment with history in it,  specially if it still  is standing in its  original place.
                Afterwards, we decided to go to Quiapo Church.  As we walk along  Escolta,   we stopped at Polland’s Café  for some take out.  We bought  hopia ( mung bean cake)  and  tikoy (rice cake) for 'pasalubong' to our kids.
                Walking along the  unassuming and congested but historic street of  Escolta, once the center of commerce in the country in the 19th century and in the American period,  I can’t help but think how it seems  unnoticeable, especially to those who are  ignorant of its glorious past,   are  those old Art-Deco  style buildings which  have  survived even  the ravages of the  second world war. High end stores  used to abound on this strip  up to the late sixties, I’ve read.
               
               





Savory Fried Chicken
Pancit Canton
 

We passed by the busy street market of Carriedo as we headed towards Quiapo Church.






 Late in the afternoon, before calling it a day, we had a merienda at the only other surviving branch of Ma Mon Luk in Quezon Blvd.


Special siopao





 7. February 25, 2012 - Little Quiapo, Malakas St., Barangay Pinyahan, Diliman , Quezon City

                 Established  in 1949. Like Ma Mon Luk,  just  mentioing of the name of this  restaurant   (sort of) evokes  a feeling of nostalgia in me because my mother once told  me and my siblings that she used to bring us at the defunct branch in Cubao  during the 70’s,  although I was too young to  remember. My mother in-law who studied in  U.S.T. during  the 60’s said that there was once a branch along  Espana  Avenue.

                This restaurant is really known for their great tasting Halo-halo. Personally, it is the best Halo-halo in town. The secrets  as revealed by one of its owners I saw in a  television feature lies in the fact that the ingredients   are always  fresh and  they do the preparation themselves. 

                I have been at its present location in Quezon City many times already and I must say that their various Filipino dishes such as Tokwa’t Baboy, Kare- Kare, and Lechon Kawali among others  never disappoints . The Tokwa’t  Baboy here is different from the traditional,  as the tender  pork is not fried.  Aside from their amazing Halo-halo, the pancit  palabok is also popular here .  This excellent  pancit  with its rich and thick sauce however, can easily make you  feel  satiated.        

                 With my wife and two kids, we celebrated my dad’s  birthday here. We ordered a bilao of pancit palabok,  Tokwa’t Baboy,  Black Gulaman and of course, the reason why we visit this place from  time to time, the Halo-halo.
Facade


Small Bilao of Pancit Palabok

Tokwa't Baboy



Special Halo-halo

Fiesta Halo-Halo



8. March 5, 2012 - Max's Restaurant




              Established  in 1945. Their advertising slogan say it best, “The house that fried chicken built”, (literally). They have many branches nationwide and just like many Filipinos  I’ve eaten at their different branches  countless times  already. What can I say about this restaurant that has not been  said.  Their amazing  “delicious to the bones” fried chicken paired of course with banana catsup is my favorite fried chicken.  It is crispy, tender, juicy (most of the time) and delicious.  Although famous for  its  signature fried chicken, it has many sumptuous local favorites in its menu such as Lechon Kawali , kare-kare,  sinigang, lumpia, and pancit  to name a few.

                We got here at their Gateway Mall, Cubao branch at lunch time. As expected the place was packed with customers eating. I ordered one of their combo meals consisting of one quarter fried chicken, macaroni salad, rice and a  piece of their delicious caramel bar. I also ordered Halo-halo.

                What can I say?    Everything was fine. The   Halo-halo, however, was just  average for my taste. 



Halo-halo



9.  March 9, 2012 -  Boy Ching Woo Restaurant, 103 BCW Building, J.Rodriquez St. corner Mabini Avenue, Caloocan City



               Established in 1939.   Among the oldest Chinese restaurants  in Metro Manila, it is the only one  that is not located in Manila. It is the oldest restaurant in Caloocan and is considered an institution there among the old-timers, I’ve read.


                It is less hassle to go there by commuting through  public transport.
                From  Cubao, I took the LRT- 2  and  alighted at the Recto station. I walked  towards  the LRT -1 station at  Doreteo  Jose   heading for   Monumento.  I alighted at the 5th Ave. and crossed   the other  side.  I rode a tricycle going to Mabini stop light.  From Mabini Avenue , I took a jeepney  going to the Caloocan City Hall.   J. Rodriguez St. is just about  5 -10 minutes from the Mabini stop light. Land marks are the Diosdado  Macapagal  Memorial Hospital and  Caloocan General Hospital .  After I got off at J. Ruiz St., I just crossed the other side where Boy Ching Hoo can be found.
                There was an ongoing catering  services at the second floor when we got there. The staffs that greeted us were courteous. We ordered their popular  'battered  chicken' and pancit  canton. The 'battered chicken' is really spelled with an 'a', instead of the correct 'u' . It   has nothing to do with the dish known as 'pinikpikan manok' wherein the chicken is literally battered during  the  process of preparation . The curdled blood supposedly add flavor. Anyway, for what reason, they just spelled  it that way. I thought it had something to do with dipping the chicken into a batter before frying, hence called "battered chicken"  
                Both dishes  were  served  hot. The  pancit  canton is not  saucy as seen in many traditional  Chinese restaurants. It is however , great tasting. The chicken comes  in small servings. It is tender, juicy and delicious ( but not  that amazing). The sauce that goes with  the chicken, however,  is forgettable. It is  a thin viscous reddish-brown mixture that taste bland.  A banana catsup would have been perfect. I wish this place  is just near   because I would  love to try some of their other signature dishes such as Lechon Con Tokwa and their popular Shawarma  among others.
Mango Shake - Excellent
Pancit Canton

Battered chicken with the sauce
               









                    

4 comments:

  1. I'll visit all those restaurants on my next trip to Manila,cant wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just wondering why do you always use your fist for scale. Every human has different fist size so scale is not really accurate but the places are still one for the books. Will surely visit when I happen to drop at Molave Home for a house visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the oldest restaurants in Manila. Old but many customers visiting their restos, Must-Try. Thanks for sharing! Any post about catering services in Manila?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok.... I dont know where to eat in manila, Til I found this thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete