Saturday, September 8, 2012

WHAT’S THE FUSS – IT’S CHICKEN BON CHON


           Last night  my family and I were along Shopwise Arcade, Araneta Center, Cubao when I noticed some crowd gathered along in front of an establishment. I  found out they were waiting in line to dine at the newest restaurant in the area which was packed with customers.  It was Chicken Bon Chon.  My wife, who works at the SM Mall of Asia a couple of days a week, told me she is fascinated why everytime she passes by a branch in that mall, there are always full of  customers.

             From a flyer, I read, “Crispy Chicken Secret the World Craves For." We decided to have our dinner there to see for ourselves what’s this chicken many people craves for. We patiently waited in line for our turn to order and be seated. We tried its soy garlic and spicy flavored  wings, drum sticks and thighs as well as its Kimchi Coleslaw. For desert we had Banoffee  Pie and Blueberry Torte flavored yogurts. 



             I liked the Kimchi Coleslaw and enjoyed the deserts but it was for the chicken that I patiently waited in line . The fried chicken’s real crispy outer covering was good. It’s like eating fish crackers(chicharong lapad type) cooked in brown sugar. Inside, the meat is tender and moist but it was rather bland.

             Overall, from this middle-aged guy’s taste, it’s not something worth the long wait but it’s sure  good to have this popular restaurant along the area  as an alternative to KFC.

             The last  restaurant I remember that   created a fuss on its opening here at the Araneta Center few years ago was Go Nuts Donuts. I remember people waiting in line even a month after its opening along the coliseum. Guess what? If I'm not mistaken that branch folded within two years. 

               At the Shopwise  Arcade, the turnover of food establishments I noticed is fast. Restaurants there come and go with  many  closing within two years.  Even popular food establishments  like Mister Donuts and Aristocrat Restaurant did not last long. There are only four restaurants in that place that have stood the test of time.   Pancit ng taga Malabon and Wendy’s Hamburgers ( although much smaller now)  seem to be  permanent fixtures there.  Blackbeards Seafood Island and KFC have been there for many years. Well, only  time can tell  how long this latest  chicken craze will last there but I hope "Bon Chon" the restaurant does.                         

No comments:

Post a Comment